Monday, November 2, 2009

Squirrel

I hit a squirrel.

Nothing like coming back from a blog hiatus with such breaking and important news.

I was in the middle of a threshold set starting down a small hill. When a little gray blur popped out of the brush and; Bam, bam. Both wheels. Which makes me think if he wasn't able to move out of the way of the second wheel then he's not likely making it anywhere else soon.

I've wondered for a long time what it would be like to hit a squirrel/chipmunk (they're pretty much the same for all intense and purposes right?) while ridding. And now I know. Just a couple of quick blips under the wheels. No guts, no losing control and ending up in the ditch. It was pretty fricken awesome I must say. If I wasn't in the middle of a set I would have def turned around to survey the carnage.

Poor guy.

6 comments:

Jayson said...

At least this didn't happen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bike/76039319/

Unknown said...

I did that once... on roller skis.

Jamie said...

Did he do the little zig zag back and forth faking you out, or was it a straight on hit?

Unknown said...

Happened to me once. Me going "oh shit!" zigzagging back and forth. I don't know what the chipmunk was squeaking but, at the last nanosecond, he got out of the way. Just waiting for it to happen again.

Wendy said...

Request for interview:

Hi Toby,
I'm working on an assignment for Competitor New England about endurance athletes, their New Year's Resolutions, goals, and how they'll achieve them. Once upon a time, I used to ride with WW MS on Saturday mornings and thought of WW MS again when for the purpose of this article.

If you're willing to be a part of this feature, email me at wendy(at)boohermedia.com
-W

Toby said...

Jamie: No it was a direct hit. He went right to it. I didn't even have time to swerve...not that I necessarily would have...little guy.